- When are Tryouts?
- How much does it cost?
- How often do teams practice?
- Where are practices and games?
- How long is the season?
- JOIN A TEAM
June 18, 2016
Sporting St. Louis is a member of the Missouri Youth Soccer Association (MYSA) and U.S. Youth Soccer. For this year, MYSA has set Saturday, June 18th, as the first date for open tryouts for the Eastern District. Tryouts will be conducted at SPORTPORT International. Download tryout schedule here.
We are committed to keeping elite youth soccer affordable. At Sporting, we are not happy with the ‘pay-to-play’ format that dominates youth sports. Unfortunately, this youth soccer industry builds financial fences to exclude young players from tournaments, leagues and competitions. We need to cross these fences to play in competitive events. We will offer fundraising opportunities and work with families, so that no player is left out for financial reasons.
Sporting’s Board sets club dues each season. For the 2016-17 season, Sporting set club dues at $600. For our youngest members, players at U7 or U8 age groups, club dues are $500. Club dues cover:
- Field use at our home facility, SPORTPORT International;
- Club training;
- Age-level curriculum for coaches to use;
- Club administration for the website, event registration, rosters and required forms, and other administrative tasks;
- Player registration with MYSA and Sporting Kansas City.
To pay club dues, players’ families will access GotSoccer and complete the registration process for the upcoming season. Dues are collected during the registration process. There will be an initial down payment of $250, with a $35 automated deduction each month for 10 months for the remainder of the season. For younger players, there will be an initial down payment of $250, with $25 automated deductions for 10 months.
In addition to club dues, individual teams need to assess fees to cover league charges, tournament entry fees, and other charges for which the team is responsible. Team managers and coaches manage their teams’ budgets. Team assessments vary by team: older teams participate in more events, and, consequently, tend to have higher team fees. You can obtain the best estimate of these costs from the team’s current coach or manager. ↑ FAQs
Level of Commitment
How much time and travel are involved?
- Practice Frequency: Competitive teams at U12, U13, and older practice 3 times per week. Younger teams typically practice twice per week; there are some time periods when a younger team may practice with greater frequency – just before the season starts or before resuming in spring, for instance.
- Locations: Teams will practice at SPORTPORT International, our home facility. Sporting’s youth teams play locally in the S. Louis Youth Soccer Association (SLYSA). SLYSA hosts league games at several different complexes, though the SLYSA complex, itself, is located near Elm and Highway 370 in St. Charles, Missouri.
- Travel: Teams under 12 may travel to an out of town tournament in fall. We discourage too much travel for our younger teams. Older teams require more out-of-town travel.
- Length of Season: Missouri Youth Soccer Association rules set the seasonal year from August through July of the following year. In practice, fall league play wraps up in mid-November. Teams often participate in less-intensive winter activities like futsal or indoor with very limited or no practice sessions. Spring league games typically start in early March and run through mid-May. Older teams participate in State Cup in June. The younger teams, U11 or younger, recess for June and July.
FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST IN JOINING A SPORTING STL SOCCER TEAM. If you are considering whether to transition from recreational to club soccer, or you are searching for advanced training, register your interest below.